Dr. Mithoefer is double board certified in Orthopaedic surgery and Orthopaedic sports medicine in the U.S. and Germany. After completing his medical school at Heinrich-Heine University in Düsseldorf, Germany he received his residency training in the Harvard Orthopaedic Residency Program. Following residency Dr. Mithoefer completed a fellowship in Orthopaedic Trauma at Harvard Medical School and the prestigious Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery fellowship at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York.
His clinical and scientific interests lie in the application of non-operative as well as state-of-the-art minimally invasive and regenerative surgical techniques to facilitate recovery and return to athletic and work activities following injuries of the knee and shoulder. Dr. Mithoefer has more than 15 years of clinical expertise and is an internationally recognized specialist for sports medicine, joint preservation and regenerative orthopedics.
Dr. Mithoefer has extensive experience caring for athletes at all levels including as team physician of the New England Revolution, U.S. National Soccer Team, World Team Tennis, U.S. Davis Cup Team, and U.S. Open Tennis tournament, and has served as Assistant Medical Director for Major League Soccer (MLS). Having played sports at the professional and recreational level, he understands the athlete's mindset and practices with the primary goal of returning patients safely and rapidly back to sport.
For more information about Dr. Mithoefer, please visit www.bostonjointpreservation.com.
- Heinrich-Heine University, School of Medicine, Düsseldorf, Germany
- Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency Program, Harvard Medical School
- Hospital for Special Surgery, Cornell University, Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Orthopedic Trauma
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- International Joint Preservation and Cartilage Restoration Society